Friday, May 4, 2012

5 trains in 55 minutes for Cinco de Mayo in Callahan, Nassau County, Florida



Train 1: SB CSX intermodal pulled by engine 5313 approaches CR 108 grade crossing
Train 2: Another CSX intermodal pulled by engine 5103 races SB toward Jacksonville
Train 3: NB manifest train pulled by 7840 rounds the curve and toward the main line
Train 4:  Another NB manifest pulled by 7695 from Baldwin approaches the CR 108 grade
Train 5: A loaded coat train veers southward onto the Baldwin-Callahan line on its way to Baldwin
Train 3 chugs across the CR 108 grade and toward the switch on the main line
Train 3 enters the west track of the main line and prepares to crossover to the vacant east track
Train 4 passes the last signal tower before it enters the main line
Train 4 enters the mainline and approaches the crossover to the east track
Train 5 loaded with coal thunders across the CR 108 grade crossing


I was running some errands today in Callahan when I noticed off in the distance a Northbound CSX train parked on the Callahan-Baldwin line. That usually means it is waiting for a Southbound train to clear the mainline so I drove to the Callahan Junction (the bottom of the Florida Funnel) and grabbed my camera.  As I walked closer I glanced northward on the mainline and saw a Southbound CSX train waiting at the Old Dixie Highway grade crossing. I asked myself why 2 trains were stopped in Callahan and before I had time to answer, the gates at Old Dixie came down.  I grabbed my camera and caught a CSX intermodal racing across the CR 108 grade crossing headed for the Jacksonville port. I waited for the train on the Baldwin- Callahan line to move toward me and the main line. After about 15 minutes another Southbound intermodal raced around the SB train parked at Old Dixie and barrelled across CR 108 on its way to Jacksonville.  Finally the NB train whistled its approach and entered the main line. But too my surprise another NB train appeared on the Baldwin-Callahan line and inched down the Crawford grade toward the Callahan junction. In no time it too entered the mainline and disappeared behind the parked SB manifest at Old Dixie.  In no time the SB manifest whistled its approach.  I stepped across the tracks to get another angle and noticed it was a coal train. It gathered speed as it veered off the main line and onto the Baldwin-Callahan line on its way to the Baldwin yard. Five trains in 55 minutes made for some great pictures and for a great Cinco ee Mayo surprise.  On a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 5 (times 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment