Friday, August 20, 2010

Railfanning the First Coast Railroad at the Amelia Island Swing Span Bridge






I was driving back from Amelia Island to Callahan today and was stopped at the US 17/SR 200 traffic light in Yulee. As I waiting for the light to change my ears perked up ad I heard the familiar sound of a train whistle. I knew I was too far away for it to be a CSX train blowing at the SR 200 grade crossing so I looked to my right and saw the signals flashing at the US 17 grade crossing a couple hundred yards to the North. I railfan the CSX and Norfolk Southern tracks in Nassau County all the time but this was a rare treat for me: Seeing a First Coast Railroad freight train slowly move out of their yard and head east toward Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach. FCR is a 32 mile short line owned by Genesee and Wyoming and consists of two lines branching North and East from Yulee. The tracks were former Seaboard Air Line and CSX lines: The Yulee to Fernandina Beach was part of the original historic Florida Railroad built in 1856 and the Yulee to Seals/Kingsland, Georgia portion was built in late 1880s as part of Seaboard Air Line's main line from Savannah to Florida. Although there is a swing span bridge on the Florida/Georgia State line over the St. Marys River ( a typical narrow girder bridge that is locked in place and can be opened only with 48 hours notice to CSX), the highlight of the short line is the century old truss span over the busy Intracoastal Waterway between Yulee and Fernandina. Knowing the train I was seeing had to soon cross that beautiful half painted steel bridge, I quickly turned down Pages Dairy Road and raced back toward Fernandina. I passed an FCR hi rail truck which I soon figured out was carrying the bridge tenders. I parked under the SR 200 bridge and waited for the slow moving train. After 15 minutes at 10 AM sharp, the bridge tenders I had passed in Yulee sounded the warning horn and slowly swung the bridge into place. A few minutes later a single yellow unmarked diesel engine slowly crawled upon the concrete approach trestle and entered the truss span, pulling a couple of box cars, a lumber car, a tanker and about 20 coal cars headed for one of the paper mills on the Island. Within minutes the trailing black tanker car train had cleared the span and the tenders re swung the bridge back to its open position to much delight of the several boats that were now waiting to pass through the bridge channel. I continued back toward Callahan, pleased I had seen a FCR train in action over the historic span.

No comments:

Post a Comment